If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

Friday, November 19, 2010

Changing Times

It is a season of change.

Each year the turning of the leaves is God's gift to us to remind us that the things we take for granted are not forever. The trees I pass each day with little notice were brilliant with their fall foliage this morning. From hot red to orange to yellow, the leaves were shimmering as the rising sun reflected off of the morning dew. In a brief time, they will turn brown, drop to the ground, and be but a memory as I pass the naked tree trunks throughout the winter, waiting for that first green hint of spring.

And, what I see in the natural is also happening here at the Texas Capitol. This week we closed down the office of the state representative for whom I have worked for the past nine years. We packed away and sent to storage the mementoes of his 18 years of service. It was a bittersweet time. On the one hand, anyone who faithfully serves in the Texas House for 18 years deserves a time of rest. On the other hand, a good and godly man chose not to return. He will be missed.

As we took down pictures, cleared out desks and appropriately routed files, it was a time of remembrance.

There were the Far Side cartoons I had taped to my wall that reminded me of the session we used Gary Larson's humor to get us through the tough times. By the end of session, any one in the office could say, "Beatings will continue until moral improves," and get everyone out of the doldrums. Praise God for the team He brought together and the humor we shared.

There were the files on eminent domain and informed consent for abortion that literally consumed my life for years. They were a reminder that we are not leaving things the way we found them. God could have chosen anybody to fight the battle to protect innocent lives and private property rights. But I praise Him because He let me have a small part in it.

As I cleared out my desk, I found notes and letters of encouragement from people over the years and re-read each of them. (I only keep the nice ones.) Yes, policy has changed during my time here, but more importantly, I have had the privilege of touching people's life. I Praise God for the people and the relationships He has given me.

The pictures came down, packed safely away. Books were packed away. The techs came and took the computers. Movers came and took the furniture. The place I had called home for the past two years was stripped of all things that made it a refuge and turned back into a naked office - nothing but walls and carpet. I closed the door behind me for the last time, stuck my head in each of the neighbor's offices to say, "see ya!" and walked away.

And started working on a project for the new state representative I will be working with in the new session.

Lord, thank you for the seasons and the opportunities you give us in our lives. May we always be aware that the ending of  one season is merely the beginning of another. 

No comments:

Post a Comment