If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

Friday, September 24, 2010

If

Most of the devotionals I have written have really just been a reflection of my obedience to sit down at the computer, setting my fingers to the keyboard and saying, "OK, Lord. Whatcha got for me today?" But, preparation for this devotional has been different. Even as the idea for the devotional began to grow in my mind, I was aware that I was going to have to work for it.

So, the devotional is going to be parked on 2 Chronicles 7:14 for a few days in order to share some of the process involved in getting to me to where I am. For those of you light years ahead of me, this will not be revelation. But, as with any treasure hunt, I have truly enjoyed finding these treasures that have been hidden right before my eyes in plain view.

If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

My entire professional life for the past 18 years has been focused on finding political and legislative solutions to our state's ills. Guess what? I am doing nothing but holding my finger in the dike. (Well, when the Legislature is in session I have all my fingers and toes in the dike, but that is another entry.) And guess what else? The success or failure of our nation, state or local government does not rest in the hand of the elected officials. It doesn't even rest in the hands of the majority of voters. It rests in the hands of those people who God refers to as "My people who are called by My name."

So, don't like your taxes? Don't like the government intervening in your personal business? Don't like the government telling you how to raise your children, or what you should eat? You can march on the Capitol, vote in every election, and sign every petition, but things are not going to change until we try things God's way.

God says that His people must:

  1. Humble themselves,
  2. Pray and seek His face, and
  3. Turn from their wicked ways

In order for him to:

  1. Hear from Heaven,
  2. Forgive their sin, and
  3. Heal their land.

If we do, He will. If we don't, He won't.

Really, could He make it any simpler than that?

Lord, I recognize that this isn't rocket science. You clearly laid out Your plan for our success in scripture. But, somehow, I have gotten so far off track that it is difficult to even see the way back. I place blame where it doesn't belong and refuse to take responsibility when I should. Lord, I pray that the Holy Spirit will bring conviction into my life and that You will send the gift of repentance so that I will be able to humble myself and seek Your face.

No comments:

Post a Comment