If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

Monday, September 27, 2010

My People, Who are Called by My Name

Do you ever ponder your identity? Who are you? Who do other people think you are?

As a parent and a grandparent I learned that my identity has changed with the generations. The birth of my first child changed my identity from that of a wife and business woman to a mother. For the next 15 years I was known as "Stormi's Mom." My entry into the political and public policy realm returned to me my personal identity. And, life carried on quite happily until the birth of Hannah, my first grandchild.

Grandchildren are one of the things that man does not share in common with God. God has no grandchildren. We are all equal as sons and daughters of God. Each of our children must make their own personal decision about their faith and relationship with the Lord. They will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven on our coattails. Even so, I believe that the Lord gave us grandchildren to help us to experience the joy He had as He brought all the animals to Adam for him to name.

The Lord has an extraordinary sense of humor. As the first child of my first child, Hannah took Stormi's identity as swiftly as Stormi had taken mine. However, not understanding the rules of "naming", Stormi made a futile attempt to manage my identity as a Grandmother. The first grandchild on the other side of the family had staked a claim to "Grammy" for that grandparent. Stormi decided that my name should be "Nana."

I, on the other hand, could never envision myself as a "Nana," so I was holding out to be "Grandma."

Hannah, in her role as the "Adam of the grandchildren" listened to neither me or her mother (this is sure to be a topic for the devotionals as she grows older) and bestowed upon me the title of "Migi." We have no idea where she got it. One day she was pointing at all the pictures of me and saying, "Migi." But who cares where she got it? Nobody questions Adam about naming an animal a hippopotamus or an aardvark, now do they? Migi I am. And, proud of it.

Changing your identity with the generations just goes with the territory. But our identity as children of God never changes. Do you know whether you are included when scripture says, "If My people, who are called by My name…"? When someone asks you what you believe, or more importantly, who you believe, what is your response? Do you believe that you have the power to humble yourself, to petition the Living God to heal our land? Do you believe He will answer as His word promises?

In 2 Chronicles, the Lord - the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob - was making a conditional promise to the Israelites. If …, then… . Galatians 3:16 tells us:

The promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. The Scripture does not say, "and to seeds," meaning may people, but "and to your seed," meaning one person, who is Christ.

The promise is as good today as the day it was made. If you identify with the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. If you believe, as the Nicene Creed states:

We believe in one God, the Father, the Almighty, of all that is, seen and unseen.
We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the only Son of God, eternally begotten of the Father, God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten, not made, of one Being with the Father.

Through him all things were made.

For us and for our salvation he came down from heaven: by the power of the Holy Spirit he became incarnate from the Virgin Mary, and was made man.

For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate; he suffered death and was buried.

On the third day he rose again in accordance with the Scriptures; he ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father.

He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead, and his kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life, who proceeds from the Father and the Son. With the Father and the Son he is worshipped and glorified.

He has spoken through the Prophets.

We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.

We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.

We look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen.

If you believe and identify with our Lord, Jesus Christ, then you are included in the "My people" promise in 2 Chronicles 7:14. If we humble ourselves and pray, He will hear our voice from heaven and He will heal our land.

On the other hand, if you think that a single person has no impact on the destiny of nations, then you just might want to re-examine your faith. You are depending upon your own strength, thereby negating the resurrection power of Christ in you. Repent of your unbelief!

Lord, apart from you, we can do nothing. We cannot even repent of our sins and unbelief until you send the gift of repentance. I pray that you the Holy Spirit will convict me of my sins and that you will send the give of repentance into my life. Lord, I believe your Word. Help my unbelief! Amen.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment