If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Act Like You've Been There Before

Recently a friend called to tell me about a scenario that simply had no hope of a good outcome. After telling me the facts and the possible consequences of each proposed action, my response was to recommend the least pleasant course of action, and pray for the Lord's favor and mercy. It involved taking responsibility for one's action. My point was that sometimes going ahead and owning up is less painful than anticipating the penalty of an action. (Yes, I rip band-aids off, I do not pull them off slowly.)

Knowing that most people who request your advice don't really care what you have to say, after shooting up a quick, "Lord, have mercy" prayer, the issue drifted to the back of my mind. Later on my drive home, I called to see how things had worked out.

When my friend answered the phone, she was crying and I had to ask her to repeat herself so I could understand her. I knew things were bad, but was wondering how much worse they had become in the time since we last spoke. She finally pulled herself together enough to choke out, "God answered your prayer."

It took me a second to gain control of my mouth before I blurted out the first responses that came to my mind. They included non-edifying pearls of wisdom such as:

"Well, duh."

"Of course He did."

"Don't act so surprised."

"What were you expecting?"

Fortunately I realized that the Lord was using this as a faith building experience for my friend. So, instead of laughing at her disbelief, I just chuckled and reminded her that it had been her prayer, too. All we did was agree with God with what He wanted to do anyway. And, that's the joy of prayer. Not that we have a to-do list that we present to the Lord and ask Him to sign off on. But that we have an opportunity to enter into communion with the creator of the universe, be shown what He is doing, and then get to be a part of it through agreeing in prayer.

It is a favorite of football coaches to tell their players that when they get to the end zone they should act like they have been there before rather than celebrating like it is New Year's Eve. The sentiment is true in your prayer life. If the fact that God answers your prayers surprises you, it is time to work on the fundamentals of your faith.

Lord, thank you for the gift of faith. Show me what it is that You are doing so that I may enter into prayer in agreement with Your purposes.


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment