If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

Monday, October 4, 2010

Facebook 101

… if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways…

Having discussed who "My people" are and the concept of humility, it seems like time to move on to the next part of 2 Chronicles 7:14 - praying and seeking the face of God. It dawned on me that humility before the Lord really can never be achieved apart from an intimate relationship with Him. Like all relationships, both quality time and quantity of time are required for any level of intimacy to occur.

Interestingly enough, a search of scripture gave only three returns on the phrase "seek My face." The first is the scripture we are focusing on in 2 Chronicles. The second is Psalm 27:8 where David declares:

When You said, "Seek My face," my heart said to You, "Your face, Lord I will seek."

Seems reasonable. God said it, so David obeyed.

Then, in Hoses 5:15, we see the phrase again in response to Israel's failure to seek the Lord's face:

I will return again to My place till they acknowledge their offense. Then they will seek My face; in their affliction they will earnestly seek Me.

So, let me see if I can sum this up for you. God says to seek His face. David does. It goes well for David. Israel does not. Things do not go well for Israel. In fact, God allows affliction to overcome them knowing that in their affliction, Israel will earnestly seek Him.

I believe a pretty good argument could be made for the fact that we as a nation, and certainly the Church are in the position of Israel and needs to "acknowledge their offense." And, when I say the nation and the Church, I mean you and me - the "My people" in 2 Chronicles 7:14.

So, here is the question of the day. How much time do you spend a day "seeking the face of God?"

And, one follow up. Is that more or less time than you spend on the internet or with your Facebook account?

You see, our nation is to the point where the most important Facebooking we can possibly do is with the Lord our God.

Lord, help me to properly prioritize my time, putting my greatest efforts into the things with the greatest returns. Help me to remember that nothing is as profitable as spending time with You.

No comments:

Post a Comment