If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Excuses

Over the years I have had the privilege of working for several no-nonsense bosses who would not entertain excuses for failure to achieve a directive. These men were not insensitive or lacking in compassion. They were simply honest. The result has been that I learned early on to carefully consider an answer when an inquiry is made about a failed objective.

Early in my retail sales experiences I learned that the failure to achieve a sales goal was not the fault of the customer, the economy, or the weather (unless we were closed due to a hurricane). It was a tough business, but as every excuse was taken off the table, I learned that the reason my store missed its sales goals was because I had failed to sufficiently motivate my staff. Immediately when I took responsibility for the problem, solutions began to come to mind on how to overcome the obstacles. As long as the excuses, rather than the reasons for the failure were the focus of the discussion, I was a victim of the situation. When the reason became my focus, I was not longer the victim, but the director of my circumstances.

Fast forward thirty years and I am working in the office of a state legislator who is a colonel in the Marine Corps Reserves. Same song, different verse. We have an office environment where failure is not an option and excuses are not allowed. Interestingly enough, rather than that being a difficult environment, it is one of the easiest in which I have ever worked. When there is a mistake, after we work through the crisis at hand, there is a thoughtful inquiry into where the system broke down. Did someone just drop the ball? Did someone throw the ball and another failed to catch it? Was it a lack of communication? Was there a training issue?

The point is, no one on staff is looking to throw another staffer under the bus for failures. Our boss readily accepts ultimate responsibility for any failure of staff. Knowing that, each staff member is diligent to take responsibility for our duties, knowing that if we fail, it will affect him as much or more than ourselves. When we do have a major snafu (and they happen from time to time) where things are handled less than elegantly, there is a freedom in the office for any level of staffer to bring the issue up for discourse. That freedom, coupled with a sense of humor, an attitude of forgiveness, and a genuine desire to improve has ensured we have a staff that understands 1 Peter 4:8 Love covers a multitude of sins.

Of course, working in that type of environment has also taught me a lot spiritually.

For example, "The devil made me do it."

So, of course I had to eat that third brownie. The devil is real, but I can get into plenty of trouble without his help.

"I don't have time."

That's an excuse for lack of planning and prioritizing.

"He/she/everybody else is doing it."

Excuse for not taking personal responsibility.

God knows and accepts my weaknesses and failures as a fallen human being. He loves me and by His grace, I am restored to right relationship with Him. And, my making excuses does not make any of that less true. But, my greatest leaps in spiritual growth have been when I give up the excuses and acknowledge my own personal responsibility in my sins.

Do you find yourself going around that same old mountain yet again? Drop the excuses and ask for directions.

Lord, thank you for the conviction of the Holy Spirit and the gift of repentance. Help me, Lord, to quickly acknowledge where I am wrong and get me back on track. There is so much to get done and so little time, help me to avoid the unnecessary wanderings in the wilderness.

No comments:

Post a Comment