If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

You Can't Fool a Flight of Stairs

O, Lord, You have searched me and known me. You know my sitting down and my rising up; you understand my thought afar off. You comprehend my path and my lying down, and are acquainted with all my ways.
Psalm 139: 1-3

There is an ad currently running on a local radio station for an area pharmacy. In the ad the question is asked, "What kind of physical shape are you in?" They go on to say that it is difficult to fool a flight of stairs.

How true. Before every legislative session I make a concerted effort to get into better shape, because I know that the demands of the legislative session will take their toll. But, most importantly, I know that the elevators will be extremely crowded during the session, and in the interest of saving time, I will have to take the stairs. But, I don't get to stop at one flight of stairs. The minimum I challenge myself to master is the number of flights it takes to get from my office to the House floor.

The year we officed on the fourth floor of the Capitol and the run to the House floor was two flights down, was the easy year. Currently we are in the underground and there are four flights up to reach my objective. My huffing and puffing after two flights is a dead giveaway of my physical condition. You can't fool a flight of stairs.

You can't fool God, either. As you contemplate the idea of humbling yourself and turning from your wicked ways, remember that nothing you confess to God is going to take Him by surprise. He already knows what condition you are in.

Lord, You know me. You know the things that need to change - even the things of which I am not yet aware. Show me, Lord, the condition I am in so that I can agree with You what needs to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment